Torn Apart

posted under by keLz


The actuality is, you have little knowledge of how well you know yourself and it takes only a small moment to have to stare the nasty truth in your face and taste the bitterness on all your preconceived ideas and set out perceptions. It’s a rather sourly liberating experience which in my opinion should happen to everybody at least once in their life.

              I remember it like yesterday, being in Accra. God, I love that city!! Accra, the beauty, ….ok, I was surrounded by dusty gravel roads, _ but still. Accra had a kind of life in it, I can compare to no other city (except Calcutta).

             The irony is, I hated it when I lived there, time over time I remember being pissed, cursing out against … nobody in particular when I woke up only to be greeted with a blackout and discover the taps weren’t also flowing.

In the area of scenic places, as in parks, Accra didn’t shine much either, the only public park I’m aware of is the Efua Sutherland Children’s Park and it’s location is far from several residential areas ..hence making it some sort of commercial park.

So What was it? … It still didn’t make sense, but I missed it, very much now. But What did I miss? The windy streets?  Or the Dusty roads? The Fufu pounding spree’s on Sundays across my neighbourhood? The ancientness of the Ghanaian society, the massive Ignorance cast like a curse among the people? The Hot Sun blazing on the populace on a typical afternoon? The messed up transportation system which insists you either pick a “trotro” or go through the annoying routine of bargaining with every taxi driver you come across? The “waakye “seller who wouldn’t cut me some slack, For God’s sake it’s Saturday, who cares if am cutting the line? The cobbler who escaped with my shoes?

What was it? …….

                       That answer I didn’t have. But what I know is I love Accra, and nothing seems to change that.

2 comments

Make A Comment
top